1. Parenting
Carrie Craft

Actor Ewan McGregor to be an Adoptive Father Soon

By April 15, 2006

Ewan McGregor, Photo © Rebecca Murray In a recent People Magazine article it has been reported that Ewan McGregor and wife, Eve Mavrakis have recently adopted a little 4-year-old girl from Mongolia. In 2004, McGregor put 20,000 miles on his motorcycle traveling the world, which included a stop in Mangolia. The trek was documented in the Bravo TV series Long Way Round. Some believe that this little girl was a 2-year-old he met on this journey. Since the motorcycle trip McGregor has been a UNICEF ambassador and stopped in Africa to publicize the plight of AIDS orphans. McGregor has stated in past interviews that he would like to have "lots and lots more children." The couple has 2 daughters together, Clara, 10, and Esther, 4. They should be bringing their new daughter home soon.
Comments
April 16, 2006 at 9:13 am
(1) Wendy says:

I’m a huge Ewan fan. It’s no surprise to those who read the book version of “Long Way Round” that Ewan and Eve might adopt a child. His visit to the UNICEF project in Ulaan Bator really broke his heart – seeing children the age of his youngest daughter living in steam vents in the sewers. He tried at that time to adopt one little girl, but the red tape prevented it and instead he is paying for her to live in a top class orphanage in Mongolia. Now he and Eve will be sharing their love with his newest daughter. Ewan zealously protects his children from publicity, successfully suing those who publish photos of them. His newest daughter is unlikely to be in the news. He and Eve are doing this for all of the right reasons.

April 18, 2006 at 9:39 am
(2) Carrie Craft says:

Wendy,

Thanks for bringing this story to my attention. Your comment on “adopting for the right reason” made me stop and think – is there a wrong reason to adopt? What are the right reasons?

Anyone – please post your thoughts.

April 20, 2006 at 7:17 pm
(3) Wendy says:

I read lots of people slamming celebrities who are always photographed with their children, like they are accessories. I don’t think any of us have the facts to be able to judge them. You can be a good parent and still a publicity hound. But I also think celebrities should set and enforce boundaries to keep cameras out of their private family moments. Everyone deserves a private life.

May 17, 2006 at 9:27 am
(4) Marko says:

Great story!!

June 12, 2006 at 6:34 pm
(5) Eric, Sara, Murun, and Puje says:

We are huge fans of your work, Ewan, and there was no suprise that you opened your heart to a Mongolian girl who could easily warm anybody’s heart.

We are all Mongolians in America and we was ecstatic to learn the news that you have become a newly adopted father. But we also hope that you could let her learn her Mongolian culture and have Mongolian middle name that she could be proud of her heritage.

We all you wish the best and thank you.

December 2, 2006 at 1:37 am
(6) Bolor Purevdorj-Gage says:

Dear Ewan,

I am a huge fan! I cant describe how happy I am about the fact that you adopted a little girl from Mongolia.
This story warms my heart and soul…
Thank you!!!

June 5, 2012 at 1:26 am
(7) angel says:

I love this article. I was adptoed, my sister was not. Yet she is my biological sister to me, as well as my parents are! Sometimes they even favor me more! Haha.. Anytime anyone would say I look exactly like my Dad I would tell them Nope! But good try! People are always weird though once finding out I’m adptoed & I never understand why. I’m so loved!