1. Parenting

After the earthquake, rated a 7.0 on the Richter scale, rocked Haiti I have been seeking information on how this will impact adoptions. Haiti ranked 8th in the top countries adopted from in 2009.

Haiti is one of the poorest countries in the world and was already suffering before the earthquake hit early morning on January 12th. Some of the issues that may delay adoptions, or getting word on the welfare of your child or their birth family include:

• UN building collapsed
  • power is down
  • communication systems are down, except for satellite phones
  • adoption paperwork may be lost in the destruction
  • some orphanages have been destroyed and the children relocated to nearby churches

Keep in mind that at this time the focus will be on search and recovery of survivors and then on to basic survival. Contact your local adoption agency for information on how your child(ren) are doing. The toughest will be waiting to hear, be patient and lean on your faith and the support people in your life.

It's easy to feel helpless, but there are ways you can help. One way is by donating to different agencies that are sending aid -
Dillon International
SOS Children's Villages International
The Salvation Army
American Red Cross
Numana

Update on Haiti Adoptions

Please know that the love and concern for these children is overwhelming, but completing a quick Haitian adoption is probably not going to be a possibility. Efforts are being made to help these children, but the priority now is to save their lives. Please see how you can help do that now, while starting the paperwork to start an adoption from Haiti.

January 12, 2011 Update: It is now possible to adopt from Haiti.

SOURCES:
SOS Children's Villages International
Dillon International
WHOTV.com

Comments
January 14, 2010 at 2:35 pm
(1) Christina says:

Hi Carrie,

Just wanted to thank you for including my blog on your seven adoptees’ blogs. I’m touched…

~Christina

January 14, 2010 at 3:15 pm
(2) Heather says:

With the large number of children now expected to be orphans, it would seem that it would behoove the governments of both countries to lift some of the fees, in order to place these children more effectively and efficiently. I, for one, would be in the front of the line.

January 14, 2010 at 4:44 pm
(3) Stacie says:

I agree with Heather. In fact I emailed the White House, my Congress person, my Senator, Speaker of the House, and Senate majority leader.

January 14, 2010 at 7:04 pm
(4) Mara says:

I knew it wouldn’t take long for the baby-hungry vultures to swoop down.

January 14, 2010 at 10:35 pm
(5) carrie says:

Mara, it is not about baby hungry, it is about humanity.

January 14, 2010 at 10:42 pm
(6) em says:

Mara, that is a pretty awful thing to assume. There was a need already for forever families for the children. There is an even greater need now that so many of the orphanages have been destroyed.

January 15, 2010 at 1:59 am
(7) lynn says:

Mira, “BABY VULTURES? My husband and I have 9 children, two of whom are adopted. Before this catastrophe, we were looking foward to becoming ‘empty-nesters’ in a couple of years. We have decided to forego that freedom in order to give another unfortunate child a home-without monetary compensation- mind you. Don’t hate on thsoe whose hearts have been touched to make such a great sacrifice. This is not a calling for everyone. Those who can’t or won’t…pray for those who will.

January 15, 2010 at 3:21 am
(8) Caroline says:

Mara, you are pitiful. Shame on you.

January 15, 2010 at 11:21 am
(9) Michelle says:

Now that the orphanages are destroyed, there are even more homeless children than before. On top of that, many children are losing parents as we speak to this horrible tragedy. Also, many parents are going to be forced to give up their children as they cannot take care of them.

Mira – These children need help! Shame on you for questioning someones motives!

Astronomical legal fees and the years of waiting simply won’t be acceptable right now. These kids need saving NOW!

January 15, 2010 at 12:02 pm
(10) Denisse says:

Mira-shame on you!

January 15, 2010 at 2:33 pm
(11) Disgusted says:

Mara, I just googled adoption in Haiti because it is something that my husband and I have been wanting to do, LONG before this earthquake happened. Guess what? I can have children but because I have a big heart, I am choosing to adopt instead to give a child a loving home. You need to seriously take a hard look at yourself and the values that you have in your life. You are pathetic.
*edited out profanity by Guide.

January 15, 2010 at 5:28 pm
(12) Laurie says:

The thought of my two children not having anyone to love and take care of them is so frightening to me. i would love to open my home for a child in need! I am not a vulture Myra, as I have to healthy happy children that i am able to provide for. My thought and objective, that if a child needs a warm loving safe home, until their home is rebuilt, I would love to open my home and heart and take a child in. Period. If any of you get any information, I am there!

January 15, 2010 at 7:42 pm
(13) jennylou says:

isn’t there always someone in every situation that could go out of their way to see or seek to find a negative comment or bad thing about it? thank god the majority of humanity is not like this. i pray for mira, that she find something more meaningful in life and that her glass becomes 1/2 full.

I have also beenin the process of seeking to adopt. if anyone gets any info,please post and i will do the same. god bless.

January 15, 2010 at 10:17 pm
(14) Mariana says:

I understand that now the priority is to save the lives that still there…. but after that the process of adoption for this children with no parents should be done in an easy way so we can all help them to make their lies easier.
Does someone know who should I contact in US Florida to adopt a child with no family???
THANKS A LOT!!

January 16, 2010 at 12:31 am
(15) Rick says:

Earlier this evening my mother and I were chatting about Haiti, the loss and more importantly the children left with nothing and no one…..My heart broke as I saw the pictures coming in….A country so devastated by this horrible disaster and children all alone with little hope….For the hearts out there who reach out to help, whether its to give financially, wanting to foster a child or who’s heart has opened up wanting to give in love by adopting a beautiful child in need, thank you……Trust what your heart is telling you…..In this moment we can all make a difference…..All of us! Even as a single man I’ve thought of adoption many times in my life…..And at 48 I still believe I’d be a great parent…..As much as I’ve been given in my life, what a joy it would be for me to help a child…..to give back the same opportunities I’ve been given in my life……My prayers are with all!

January 16, 2010 at 8:00 am
(16) Desi says:

Mara, your sentiment is disgusting. Why in the world would you call someone who wants to adopt or foster a child is “baby-hungry”? And even if they are, what is the matter with that? I think you are projecting your own disturbed ideas about children onto other people, and you should keep them to yourself. I can’t imagine why you even visit this website. You must be mentally ill.

January 16, 2010 at 9:27 am
(17) Elaina says:

We have a happy healthy family and would open our hearts and home to help a Haitian child. Does anyone know where to get started on the adoption process?

January 16, 2010 at 11:40 am
(18) Lis says:

Mara, most kids waiting aren’t babies anyway, but older children.
For the last three years, I have thought many times about adopting a school-aged child from Haiti. The main thing stopping me has been worry about the cost of another child. When the earthquake struck and I saw the suffering, i realized that I was worried my two biological children might do without some dvds and fashionable clothing while there are children who will go without water, food, and medical in the wake of this tragedy. I am now resolved and can’t wait until the system is stable enough to allow my goal to move ahead.

January 16, 2010 at 1:25 pm
(19) jody says:

I too would like to know how I can find out how to adopt a child from Haiti. Please let me know if you find out anything? Thank You

January 16, 2010 at 2:22 pm
(20) Cia says:

I am the mother of 3 very active sons. It is truly a full time job caring for them. However, shortly after hearing of the tragedy in Haiti I was so saddened. My husband and I both thought of adoption/fostercare as a way of helping in such time of crisis. I’m sure most people exhibiting these feelings are not “baby hungry vultures waiting to swoop.”

January 16, 2010 at 3:40 pm
(21) Tia says:

Does anyone know what we as citizens can do to press this issue of allowing these orphans to come to America to be adopted? I live in Georgetown TX and my husband and I want to bring these children in to our home. Any information or direction will be helpful.

January 16, 2010 at 4:40 pm
(22) mindy says:

I would also like more information on adoption/ foster care for the children in haiti. I dont know where to go to find out how to get this ball rolling. please anyone.. e mail me. mindyivynks@yahoo.com. thanks!!

January 16, 2010 at 5:04 pm
(23) lei guy says:

Has anyone gotten any info on fostering or adopting a child who has lost everyone and everything in the earthquake. Please post if you know anything…

January 16, 2010 at 6:25 pm
(24) Dave says:

I too, was considering doing the same thing. I really hope that something can be done to speed up any existing adoptions out of Haiti, and be a lot more leniant for any new adoptions to get processed fast. I’m in Canada though, really have no idea where to start.

January 16, 2010 at 8:38 pm
(25) Jen says:

I too am where everyone else seems to be. We have been wanting to adopt a child that needs a home rather than have a third child. After the earthquake, you’de think both governments would be working to get some of these children who have no one and may just starve to death, to a new adoptive home with little costs! If anyone has information about this, please e-mail me! jenniefamilyconcepts@yahoo.com.
For now I pray for the well being for those children and have donated twice to children’s funds. If you are able to do so, donate a little. Every bit helps. $5 is something to the person who got food today!

January 16, 2010 at 11:06 pm
(26) Maria says:

I want to adopt or bring to the US a child from the earthquake crises and don’t know how this can be done.
If anyone knows, please let me know.

January 17, 2010 at 1:20 am
(27) LEah says:

I want to help. Please let me know once you find out any info on adopting a child or siblings. This is a disaster and if my family can help in some small. These children need help and we can help by having a good and loving home

January 17, 2010 at 1:24 am
(28) Sherrell says:

My husband and I would love information about bringing a Haitian child into our home. I can’t imagine one of my small children being left alone in such horrible circumstances. It’s heart breaking. Please post with any new info!! Prioritynone@yahoo.com

January 17, 2010 at 10:25 am
(29) pat says:

My wife and i live in italy. how could we go about adopting a kid from haiti? we could offer a loving home to one (or more) kids who need parents. would the language thing be a big barrier??

i am irish my wife is italian. we have thought about adoption for a long time but have never “officially” applied here in italy.

thanks in advance.

p.s. Mara, find help. talk to someone.

January 17, 2010 at 12:59 pm
(30) Robin says:

The Lord has put it in my heart to be either a foster mother, or to adopt one of these children. As desperate as the situation is, they need to expidite things. Every miniute counts. If information comes through to anyone on how we can get info on how to proceed on what to do, please share.

January 17, 2010 at 1:09 pm
(31) Linds says:

Hi there, if anyone does find info on how to assit by providing a loving home please email me freemang78@yahoo.ca (in Canada)..Thanx Linds

January 17, 2010 at 1:53 pm
(32) Mathilde says:

My family and I have been sponsoring a child in Haiti. We pay for her school, clothes, food, etc… When the earthquake struck, all phone and internet communications were lost. We found out that the earthquake hit the area that she lives in. We finally heard from her yesterday. She is now living on an open field in Miragoane. With nothing to eat, and nowhere to send money, we really would like the get her here in the US with us. We have written to our senators but I don’t know if we’ll get to her in time.
Please everyone, please write to the people in charge to help these children. They are dying!

January 17, 2010 at 2:51 pm
(33) Kathy Hay says:

My husband and I are also thinking about adopting one of these children who have been orphaned in this terrible tragedy. If anyone has information, please email me at kathy@crossclamp.com

January 17, 2010 at 3:19 pm
(34) Ed and Joyce says:

Hi and it is refreshing to read comments from so many caring people.

Could anyone please provide us with information on how we can help give a Haitian child a loving home? We have 2 children in high school and want to be able to provide a better life to a child. Our email is patsamed@aol.com

Thank you!
Ed and Joyce

January 17, 2010 at 4:44 pm
(35) Alicia says:

Do anybody know how I can give a child in need a loving home? Will in be able to bring them to the US? I would love to welcome one or two into my family. Please contact me at shortya1987@yahoo.com with any information.

January 17, 2010 at 5:16 pm
(36) Lisa says:

First of all, I am a parent of 4 great kids. I have so much more love to give. I want to give one of the orphaned children in haiti a loving home with brothers and sisters, a great education, etc…. Please share any info you have.

Mira, I feel sorry for you. By the weay, how was it you found yourself to this site? Want to adopt a child yourself?

January 17, 2010 at 5:43 pm
(37) linda says:

I understand the desire everyone is feeling to provide for these children but please keep in mind adoption is a long process. These children need our help now in Haiti with food, shelter, and medical supplies. While you are reaching with one hand to start filling out adoption forms, please reach with the other to donate to those organization already on the ground in Haiti who can help this children now. Wanting to open you home is a wonderful thing but it is not something that will help these children in the next week, month or perhaps even year.

January 18, 2010 at 1:30 am
(38) lori sipes says:

God has blessed me with a nice home, plenty to eat, beautiful children, a great husband. I serve an awsome god. I would in a heartbeat open my home and share with a child or even a needy family. Everything I have belongs to God to be used for His service. I will do my part to help with a donation for the people of Haiti, but I too would like to adopt a Haitian child. Unfortunately, I don,t have the huge amount of money it would cost to adopt a child from another country. My husband has a good job and we have plenty. How can we adopt within our means?

January 18, 2010 at 7:25 am
(39) Diane says:

Mara….have you seen the pictures from Haiti of terrified and injured children? Have you looked into their eyes and seen their pain, fear and lonliness? Many children are orphaned and alone. Blessings to anyone who can open their hearts and homes to change even just one small life. Shame on you Mara for thinking otherwise!

January 18, 2010 at 10:18 am
(40) MelLen says:

My husband and I have also been thinking about adopting for a while, and now that we are newly married are ready to begin the process. This disaster seems like a sign of where there are many children in real need of a family to love them. Please pass along any information on how to get started on adopting a child to (Canada): melirwin@hotmail.com
Thank you very much.
Melissa and Anthony

January 18, 2010 at 10:23 am
(41) lesley says:

As believers in the word of God, my husband and I feel it’s our pleasure to try to adopt a Haitian child after the earthquake, the word of God says to take care of the widows and the orphans. It’s easy to just send money but we are willing to sacrifice our freedom in order to serve God. We have 4 children 3 to 17 yrs. We started to pray and ask God for His will to be done in our lives and the children’s as well.

January 18, 2010 at 9:00 pm
(42) Gwen says:

I am an adoptive mother of a girl (now 8) from China. I think all the orphans in Haiti deserve a loving home, and if I was in a position to do so, I would love to adopt a Haitian child. If you want more information, look up adoption agencies who specialize in international adoption. I used Holt International, and there are many others who currently work with Haiti that would give you the best answers.

January 18, 2010 at 11:16 pm
(43) Joanne G says:

I live in Canada. I am 36 – single with no children.I have a great home and a lot of love to give. I want to adopt a child no matter the age. If anyone has information on how to adopt a child from Haiti, please email me at dfrnchgrl@yahoo.com
Greatly appreciated!
Joanne

January 19, 2010 at 2:24 pm
(44) Sarah RYAN says:

The dust has to settle before these children can be determined as orphans available for adoption. The family could have been separated in the disaster and they deserve a chance to be reunited with them. The best option for any child is to stay with family- if that is not an option, then adoption. To expedite the process too much is to take risks that cause long term damage to the child. Please donate today to an organization that supports the children in Haiti and remember that adoption is a life long commitment to a child.

January 19, 2010 at 6:43 pm
(45) Louise says:

If anyone has any info on new doors opening for Canadians to adopt from Haiti since the earthquake, we’d really appreciate any thing you can offer! Just email us.

January 19, 2010 at 9:38 pm
(46) Ariana says:

Hello, I was wondering if anyone knew how to get started on adopting a child from haiti. My parents are unable to have another child but they want one dearly. In the past it has been to expensive, but know seems the right time to adopt… please could anyone give me information….. thank you

January 21, 2010 at 2:43 am
(47) Sophi says:

Mara, what are doing to help the Haiti homless and hungry orphaned children? SOUTH AFRICA.

January 21, 2010 at 6:28 pm
(48) olivia says:

Great News from Haiti!
80 orphans on their way to Florida as we speak…

To see more:

January 24, 2010 at 2:44 am
(49) Jess says:

My husband and I are going to be starting our paperwork and get the ball rolling. We really want to adopt from Haiti, but I am wondering if we are too young to be considered, him being 25 and myself 24. We have been married 4 years and are unable to have children of our own. I am praying that we will be able to be at least considered! I anyone hears anything more please contact me at j.dean.2010@live.com! Thankyou!

January 28, 2010 at 7:53 pm
(50) April R, says:

My husband and I have been trying to have a baby for almost 10 years we would love to give one of these children a home my email is dalissa29@aol.com if anyone has any info. thank you

January 29, 2010 at 2:54 pm
(51) Shiquita says:

I think that it is wonderful that so many people are willing to open up their home to the children in Haiti. Please check out my blog and it will give you information on adoption and what you can do to help…

May 17, 2010 at 7:56 pm
(52) Patricia says:

I am trying to set up something where folks in the states can pay for a Haitian child’s education. I’m trying to find emails of schools that have opened so I can pursue this. Does anyone have any connections to open schools to do this? I have folks ready to help out. Thanks

November 4, 2010 at 11:54 am
(53) k.h. says:

mara should be ashamed calling someone a baby vulture I take it she has children, My husband and I have been trying to have a baby for 12 years so we are vultures? The people that already have children and want to take another in are not vultures in. Thank heavens for people like us. Shame on people like Mara.

February 5, 2012 at 5:40 pm
(54) Jade says:

Hello, I am going on 19 years of age, an I have a had a rough time growing up but it’s made me a stronger person, & all I would like to do is adopt a child & give them a better up bringing then what I ever had, i am starting to volunteer with the starlight foundation, just doing anything I can. But I don’t have the funds to adopt, I’ve thought about having my own child because I’m so young but I honestly an don’t get offended when I say this but I honestly didn’t want to bring a child into this world knowing that there was other children out there that need help. I’m no looking for a hand out, well I guess I am, but I would just like to know if anyone is able to assist me like with fund an stuff. Contact me on jadebigalla@hotmail.com I live in Australia and I just want to know if there is people that could or would help me with this? Thank you all’