* Erik L. Smith works as a paralegal for the Manring & Farrell law office in Columbus, Ohio. His other articles include, The Ohio Putative Father Registry--The What?, The National Directory of Putative Father Registries, and Midwifery and the Constitution. He can be reached at: firstname.lastname@example.org.REFERENCES
1. As reported by Ashe, N. Legalized Abandonment. Posted on the Adoption GuideSite at About.com.
2. Pierce, W. L. Counter Report: A Discovery Institute Rebuke of New York City Adoption Institute Report on Safe Havens, Five minimal provisions that should be in any safe haven statute? at “Fact #1. Published on the Adoption GuideSite at About.com.
3. For example, Alabama 2000 Session HB 115.
4. Adoption Nation Education Initiative. Unintended Consequences: 'Safe Haven' Laws are Causing Problems, Not Solving Them. Study by the Evan B. Donaldson Institute. Posted on the Adoption Guide Site at About.com.
5. Pierce, W. L. WSJ's Al Hunt Strikes Out on 'Safe Haven' Laws. Posted on the adoption guide site at About.com. August 29, 2003, and Pierce, W. L. See, Note 2 at “Fact #4 Published on the Adoption GuideSite at About.com.
6. Walden.mvp.net. The Illinois Putative Father Registry. See also, Minnesota Statute 2002, 257.75(a-c).
7. Walden.mvp.net. The Illinois Putative Father Registry. Crouse, Cobb & Bays.
8. Stanley v. Illinois (1972), 405 U.S. 645.
9. As reported by National Adoption Information Clearinghouse (NAIC), Statutes-at-a-glance: Presumed (putative) fathers, at www.calib.com.
10. Lehr v. Robertson (1983), 463 U.S. 248.
11. See, Pertman, A., Adoption Nation at pp. 60. New York. Basic Books: 2000; See also, Smith, E. L. The Ohio Putative Father Registry--The What? July 2, 2003, Originally published on the Adoption GuideSite at About.com.
12. For example, see Smith, E. L. note 11.
14. For example, In re Lichtenberg 03-LW-0864 (Ohio App.12th Dist.) (A putative father’s signing of the Indiana putative father registry was ineffective when the Indiana adoption agency placed the child out of state.)
15. For example, Ohio Revised Code sec. 3107.061 and Robert O. v. Russell K., 604 N.E.2d 99, at 104, and dissenting opinion at 105 (N.Y. 1992).
16. Lehr v. Robertson (1983), 463 U.S. 248.
18. For example, Kansas. According to Kansas Department of Vital Statistics.
19. Pierce, W L. Institute Debunks Donaldson Report on Safe Haven Laws. Five minimal provisions that should be in any safe haven statute? at “Fact #1. Published on the Adoption GuideSite at About.com.
20. Press Release from the National Center for Adoption Law and Policy (Columbus, OH) Florida Law Strikes Down Adoption Law. Published on the Adoption GuideSite at About.com.
21. For example, Ohio Revised Code § 149.43 (A)(1)(e).