Birth and Adoption:
Colin Kaepernick was born November 3, 1987, in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, to eighteen year old, single mom, Heidi Russo. Colin remained with her for the first six weeks of his life due to then Wisconsin adoption law which stated that six weeks must pass after a child is born and before that child can be adopted. Instead of being placed into foster care, Russo chose to parent Colin those six weeks. He was then adopted at six weeks of age by Rick and Teresa Kaepernick. Russo selected the adoptive family.
They had an open adoption with letters, cards, and pictures being shared until Colin was seven-years-old. Russo chose to end the contact as it was holding her back emotionally.
- Kaepernick was first a defensive end and punter when he started playing youth football at age eight.
- He became his youth team's starting quarterback at age nine.
- Joined the Nevada Wolf Pack as a redshirt in 2006.
- In 2011, the San Francisco selected Colin Kaepernick.
- Kaepernick and the 49ers will face the Baltimore Ravens at the 47th Super Bowl in New Orleans.
- Kaepernick was drafted in the 43rd round by the Chicago Cubs in 2009, but he chose to stick with football at the University of Nevada.
- It was reported that he threw a 92 mph fastball as a senior in high school.
- Colin is of mixed race.
- Has a pet tortoise named Sammy.
- In the fourth grade predicted that he would be 6'4" tall and play for the 49ers or the Packers.
Kaepernick's birth mother, Heidi Russo, is very interested in an adoption reunion, but reports state that he is not interested at this time. Russo is said to tape Colin's games and has even watched a few in person. She has reunited with his adoptive parents, but continues to respect Colin's space.