Born June 4, 1975, in Los Angeles, California, Angelina Jolie is the daughter of Academy Award-winning actor Jon Voight.
Jolie adopted her first child, Maddox Chivan Thornton Jolie, a Cambodian infant, born on August 5th, 2001, with then husband Billy Bob Thornton.
Jolie's second child, Zahara Marley Jolie, an African child born January 8th, 2005. The child was first thought to be orphaned due to the AID's crisis. It was later discovered that she was placed for adoption due to her birth mother's extreme poverty and that Zahara's birth mom was alive.
Maddox and Zahara were adopted by Brad Pitt, the biological father of Jolie's daughter, Shiloh Nouvel Jolie-Pitt.
Shiloh Nouvel was born in Namibia on May 27, 2006, by cesarean due to a breech presentation. Pitt was there to cut the baby's umbilical cord.
Pax Thien, was adopted at age 3 1/2 from Vietnam in March 15, 2007. There was some controversy as many complained that the adoption was "fast-tracked" and went against Vietnam law as unmarried couples are not allowed to adopt. Which is why Jolie initially filed alone. Brad Pitt did adopt Pax once they arrived home.
2008 brought the birth of twins to Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt! Jolie gave birth to a boy and a girl on July 12 in Nice, France. Knox Léon Jolie-Pitt weighed 5lbs 3 oz. and Vivienne Marcheline Jolie-Pitt weighed 5 lbs.
Claim to Fame:
- Jolie received an Emmy nomination for her role in George Wallace. Jolie also won her first Golden Globe Award and a Cable Ace nomination.
- In the 1998 HBO film Gia, Jolie earned a Golden Globe Award, a Screen Actors Guild Award and an Emmy nomination for her portrayal of the supermodel who died of AIDS.
- In 1999, won an an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress in Girl, Interrupted. Jolie also took home a Screen Actors Guild Award for her work in Girl, Interrupted.
Appointed Goodwill Ambassador for the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees in Geneva, Switzerland after her visits to Sierra Leone, Tanzania and Pakistan.
- 2003, received the first Citizen of the World Award from the UN's Correspondents' Association for her work with the UNHCR as a goodwill ambassador.
In August, 2005 was made an official citizen of Cambodia by the King for her ongoing efforts to help the environment there.
- Has appeared in music videos by Meat Loaf, The Lemonheads, Rolling Stones and more.
- Has several tatoos including an "h" on her left wrist for her brother James Haven.
- Jolie had a childhood dream of one day becoming a funeral director.
- Voice of Lola in the cartoon Shark Tale, directed by the creators of Shrek.
- Both she and her partner, Brad Pitt were nominated for an Academy Award in 2009.
Quote on Motherhood During Interview with About.com Guide to the Movies with Rebecca Murray:What are you enjoying the most about motherhood?
Jolie: "Oh God, that after tonight I’m going to come home and he’s going to be in his little pajamas and come running at me and hug me. Then I’ll feel special."
Read more about Angelina Jolie's relationships at About.com's Guide to Marriage with Sheri & Bob Stritof.
Read more about Angelina Jolie's movie career at About.com's Guide to Hollywood Movies with Rebecca Murray.