Most people become foster parents because they truly care about the children within the foster care system and most people want to be the best foster parents they can possibly be. I hope to lead you through the following lessons on the issues I believe are the most important in order to be a great foster parent. This free parenting class is set up for you to go through the lessons each week for five weeks.
You can start at week one and follow through below with the week by week links, or sign up for 5 weekly email lessons.
- What the foster care team is and what roles great foster parents play within the team.
- How to maintain professionalism within the team.
- How your documentation helps the team with decisions.
- What reunification and permanency means.
- Ideas for mentoring birth families.
- How to help with the transitioning of a child with the reunification process or into an adoptive placement.
- What are the stages of grief?
- Why it's important to understand grief as a foster parent and how a child's grief may trigger developmental grieving of foster parents.
- Tips for helping a child through the grieving process.
- The difference between child discipline and punishment.
- How parenting a foster child can be different and challenging when compared to children who have not suffered abuse and neglect.
- Tips for handling challenging foster child behaviors and issues.
- Why lifebooks are important to the healing process.
- What's important to include in a lifebook.
- Ideas on keeping a child's culture alive.