1. Parenting
You can opt-out at any time. Please refer to our privacy policy for contact information.

What Visas Are for Non-Hague Convention Adoptions?


Question: What Visas Are for Non-Hague Convention Adoptions?

Children adopted from non-hague convention countries receive either an IR-3 or IR-4 immigrant visas.

Answer: IR-3 Visa

The IR-3 visa is issued after the final adoption is completed abroad by both adopting parents and both parents physically saw the child prior to or during the adoption proceedings. The country also does not require the the child be re-adopted once in the United States.

Children under the age of 18 automatically become U.S. citizens upon entry to the United States on a IR-3 visa. In these cases, the USCIS automatically sends Certificates of Citizenship without the need for more forms or fees.

IR-4 Visa

The IR-4 visa is issued when the final adoption will be completed within the United States. This situation occurs when the foreign country only allows prospective adoptive parents to obtain guardianship of a child. It may also come into play when the prospective adoptive parents have not seen or observed the child prior to the adoption process.

Orphans admitted to the United States on an IR-4 visa become lawful permanent residents and are processed to receive an Alien Registration Card or "green card."

  1. About.com
  2. Parenting
  3. Adoption / Foster Care
  4. Choosing to Adopt a Child
  5. International Adoption
  6. Adoption Forms
  7. Visas for Non-Hague Convention Adoptions - What Are the IR-3 and IR-4 Visas for?

©2014 About.com. All rights reserved.