Gay adoption is nothing new as gays and lesbians have been adopting for a long time, but only recently have gay adoptions been done more openly.
Note: Stay up-to-date on gay adoption and other adoption & foster care issues with my weekly newsletter.
1. Adoption Options for Gay Parents
There are several types of adoption that gay couples can explore from foster care adoption to international. It all depends on whether the agency, the state and/or the country are open to gay adoption. But the first real question to ask is whether adoption is for you and your family.
2. The Adoption Home Study & Gay Adoption
The adoption home study is one of the first hurdles in the adoption process. In the past, and perhaps in some areas of the country still today, gay couples have lied in order to adopt. Usually with one partner adopting and the other pretending to be a roommate or a friend. But it is necessary to realize the importance of honesty when adopting. It is legal to omit information, it is not legal to lie when asked a specific question. Lying in this instance is considered fraud and may be cause for an adoption to not occur or for an already established placement to disrupt.
3. Gay Adoption by the Numbers
The exact number of gay couples who have adopted is unknown due to the fear society seems to have regarding gay parenting. But, here are a few statistics on gay and lesbian adoptions.
4. The Fears Around Gay Adoption & Gay Parenting
5. Gay Adoption Legalities and Issues
- Legal Issues for the Gay and Lesbian Family
- Where is Gay Adoption Legal?
- Choosing an LGBT Friendly Attorney
- Lesbian and Gay Adoption Rights - Pros and Cons of Gay Adoption
- Case Brief: Homosexuals and Adoption - Equal Protection - Gay adoption in Florida
- The Evan B. Donaldson Adoption Institute: Eliminating Barriers to Gay Adoption
6. Support & Resources for Gay Parents
I hope this information is of some benefit. May the best happen for all involved as we work to help children find homes and families.