The documentation required will depend on the type of adoption and whether the adoption has been finalized or not. Whether or not your child is considered special needs will also be a factor.
Documentation is very important so be sure that you have kept an adoption file folder and maintained various documents and receipts along your adoption journey.
In order to claim the IRS adoption tax credit, you will need to show proof. Keep in mind that the documents you will need will vary based on the type of adoption, and if the adoption is final. Check with a professional tax preparer before filing.For example you may need:
- receipts for adoption expenses,
- final decree, or order of adoption,
- entry visas for international adoptions,
- home study by placement agency,
- determination of special needs status of the child
Note: Since these documents will need to be attached to your federal tax return, you will not be able to file electronically.